Developing Singapore as an Asian IP Hub: Formation of Sub-Committees & call for feedback and suggestions
4 Jun 2012 Posted in Press releases
Intellectual Property (IP) has become an increasingly important component of the global economy. The Ministry of Law (MinLaw) aims to expand Singapore’s role as an Asian IP hub, and service the potential growth in demand for IP services in the region.
To this end, we earlier announced the setting up of an IP Steering Committee to formulate the IP Hub Master Plan to guide Singapore’s development as an IP hub. The Steering Committee is chaired by Mr Teo Ming Kian, Chairman of MediaCorp Pte Ltd. Mr Teo was previously Chairman of the Economic Development Board, Chairman of the then National Science and Technology Board, and Permanent Secretary (National Research and Development), among other appointments.
- The Steering Committee will be supported by two sub-committees which have now been formed to focus on the areas of (i) developing a vibrant marketplace for IP transaction and commercialisation, and (ii) building world-class IP capabilities and infrastructure.
- Sub-Committee 1 is co-chaired by Mr Magnus Bocker, Chief Executive Officer of the Singapore Exchange; and Mr Viktor Cheng, Deputy Chief Executive (Infrastructure and Capability Development Group / Corporate Services Group), Intellectual Property Office of Singapore.
- Sub-Committee 2 is co-chaired by Dr Stanley Lai, SC, Head of Intellectual Property Practice, Allen & Gledhill LLP; and Ms Danielle Yeow, Deputy Chief Executive (Registries Group / Legal Policy & International Affairs Department), Intellectual Property Office of Singapore.
- The composition of the Steering and Sub-Committees, which draws on diverse backgrounds and IP expertise from both the public and private sectors, is in Annex A (0.1MB).
- The broad terms of reference of the IP Steering Committee and Sub-Committees are set out below:
|Committee||Terms of Refernece|
|IP Steering Committee||To oversee the development of a Master Plan that will develop Singapore as an Asian IP hub, well-supported by a comprehensive suite of world-class IP services and served by an efficient and modern IP infrastructure.|
|Sub-Committee 1 on Developing a vibrant marketplace for IP transaction and commercialisation||
To recommend strategies to:
|Sub-Committee 2 on Building world-class IP capabilities and infrastructure||To recommend strategies to:
- The Steering Committee invites feedback and suggestions from IP owners, practitioners and the industry pertaining to the broad areas of study described above, covering all forms of IP, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and designs. We would also welcome other related feedback which the public feels should be considered in this strategic review.
- The Steering Committee aims to finalise and submit its recommendations to the Government by early 2013. We would appreciate all feedback and suggestions to be sent by 31 August 2012 to:
Intellectual Property Policy Division
Ministry of Law
100 High Street
#08-02, The Treasury
Fax: 6332 8842
Last updated on 26 Nov 2012